Mailroom Management Essentials for Business
Mail centers are critical to successful business operations. Inefficient mailroom management is costly and can puts companies at risk for compliance infractions that can result in heavy fines. Planning for a streamlined, highly effective mail center that’s efficient and compliant is a requirement in today’s communication-intensive, highly regulated business environment.
Streamlined mailroom management satisfies businesses need for:
- Effective client communications
- Precise mail handling that meets business needs and regulatory compliance
- Efficient workflow that reduces the cost of document handling on the business
The mail center is the place where business communications are processed, printed and disseminated. When effectively managed, the mail center is a vital hub to the business, ensuring that information flows quickly and securely throughout the organization and to customers. Inefficient management can drive up the cost of document production, slow the rate of productivity and leaves the business vulnerable to fines and risks due to unsecured document handling or inefficient and unreliable mail delivery schedules.
The mail center should:
- Support business initiatives
- Add value to the business
- Deliver reliable and consistent services
Types of business-critical documents processed in the mail center include:
- Account statements
- Transaction notices
- Court filings and other time sensitive legal documents
- Disbursement checks
- Regulatory disclosures
- Direct marketing/one-to-one customer communications
CHALLENGES ASSOCIATED WITH MAILROOM MANAGEMENT
The cost and complexity of document production and distribution has increased as the demand for information has grown, the technology for creating documents has improved and the laws surrounding the protection and dissemination of information have developed. The growing expense to businesses to accommodate these increases can quickly eat away at bottom-line profits if not proactively managed.
Current trends that contribute to increased mail center output include:
- Increased customer demand for timely communication
- Increased regulatory compliance
- Improved document production technology
SOLUTIONS FOR MANAGING MAIL CENTER COSTS
Proactive planning is required to mitigate unnecessary mail center costs and to ensure the mail center is supporting itself and meeting business requirements. The goal of successful mailroom management is to maximize efficiency, control costs and reduce risks. Staff, technology and processes must be in place and properly managed to enable optimized mail center operations. While there can be up-front costs associated with establishing or improving mail center processes, the benefits to the organization are invaluable.
OUTSOURCED MAILROOM MANAGEMENT WITH OCÉ BUSINESS SERVICES
Developing an efficient mailroom consists of many variables, depending on the size of the facility. Most companies lack the internal resources and staff needed to maintain mail center activities to optimum standards. Outsourced mailroom management services from Océ Business Services can provide a cost-effective solution.
Océ Business Services outsourced mailroom management services can include:
- Re-engineer mail center process from source data to variable inserting and postage metering, and timely delivery of documents to align with corporate strategy
- Standardize mail operations by mapping, analyzing and improving workflow processes and introducing new technology such as digital mail solutions for improved efficiency
- Implement world-class best practices to manage mail centers as profit-making business centers for the business
- Deploy management and staff capabilities with expertise to maintain a flexible, scalable, and responsive mail room operation that will elevate mail center efficiency and service performance
Article Courtesy of Canon Group